We’re always looking for people who share our passion for protecting the First Amendment in the public sector. Email a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to introduce yourself to us and chat about possible job openings.
We offer a paid internship program each semester. If you are currently a student and have an interest in research and writing, include “Internship” in the subject of your introductory email.
Americans for Fair Treatment (AFFT) exists to help public sector employees understand their constitutional rights around union membership and to provide or connect those employees with resources to help defend and execute their rights.
AFFT is a growing organization with ample opportunity for advancement. We offer benefits, including generous PTO and FMLA plans and a retirement plan with employer match.
We look for team members who are driven, self-motivated, and want to learn from others. Our team is passionate about constitutional rights, individual freedom, and personal responsibility.
The Senior Writer and Researcher Opportunity:
AFFT seeks an accomplished writer, journalist, or policy analyst, who is knowledgeable about public sector unions and free-market public policy solutions. A general understanding of trends in state and municipal governments in the Northeast is welcome but not required.
This is a 40-hour per week position that reports to the National Executive Director. The position is virtual.
- Contribute to content idea generation, stay informed of current developments related to public sector unions in the U.S.
- Write op-eds, short news articles, and policy briefs. These pieces may be published under the author’s name, or they may be written in partnership with AFFT executive staffers for publication
- Conduct basic research to identify newsworthy topics and trends in labor reform and public sector unionization
- Prepare remarks for public testimony in state and federal legislatures
- Advise AFFT executive team on preparation for media interviews; participate in media interviews when appropriate
- Collaborate with an assortment of researchers and public sector employees to create written content
Job Skills & Qualifications:
- Accomplished writer, journalist, or policy analyst
- 10 or more years of experience as a writer, journalist, or in the public policy field
- Understanding of trends in state and municipal governments in the Northeast is preferred but not required
- Ability to communicate effectively with media
- Body of publication related to public policy, government affairs, or politics
- Understand and support AFFT’s mission and values
- First-rate writing and editing skills
- Excellent command of grammar, tone, and AP style
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Adept at distilling dense material, specifically public documents, public-policy research, and academic publications
- Proficient writer with an ability to write in multiple formats and voices
- Expansive research skills with a focus on interpreting findings from public documents and uncovering newsworthy topics
- High initiative level requiring only area guidance
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter explaining why you are qualified for this position, why you are passionate about Americans for Fair Treatment’s mission, and your salary requirements
Submit your application to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.